Ireland's second largest medieval cathedral was established by St.Canice
as a monastic settlement in the 6th century, William the Earl Marshall built the
cathedral on the site in the first decade of the 13th century.
between 1202 and 1285 this graceful cathedral has been preserved in its original
style. St. Canice's Cathedral is richly endowed with many stained glass windows.
The choir stalls are decorated with fine continental carvings and the sanctuary
floor is paved with different coloured marble from the four provinces of Ireland.
There is a large collection of ancient stone monuments with carvings
going back to mediaeval times. Nicholas Walsh, pioneer translater of the Bible
into Irish is buried here.
The ancient stone of enthronement for
bishops, called Saint Kieran's chair dates back to earliest Christian times.
Beside the cathedral stands a round tower. This was used as a watchtower
and refuge in pre-Norman times. It lacks its original conical stone cap but provides
visitors with the best view of Kilkenny City.